스티브김(69·전자, 한국명 김윤종) SYK 글로벌 대표 영어 인터뷰

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자 작성일08-04-04 10:57 조회17,363회 댓글0건

본문

“끊임없는 도전이 오늘을 있게 했죠”
스티브김(69·전자, 한국명 김윤종) SYK 글로벌 대표

2010년 서강대학교 50주년을 기념 특별 영어 인터뷰 프로젝트.

Q. 아시아인 CEO로서 직원들과의 문화 차이는 어떻게 극복했나?

A. I tried to lead by example. I applied MBO(Management By Objectives) in my company. Each quarter I would sit with my managers and we would set the company goals together. One track record I am very proud of is never failing and any quarter goal for both fast growing companies foe whole 15 years. When you ask people to do something, it is important to make it very clear what you want from them. Because being an effective leader means making sure people do not waste time.

모범을 보이는 리더십을 갖추려 노력했다. 기업 경영에 MBO(목표에 의한 관리)를 도입해서, 매 분기마다 직원들과 함께 목표를 정했다. 15년간 기업을 경영하면서 자랑스럽게 생각하는 것은 매 분기 마다 목표를 달성하지 못한 때가 없었다는 사실이다. 직원들에게 지시할 때 시간 낭비가 생기지 않도록, 원하는 것을 명확하게 전달한다.

Q. 글로벌 기업인을 목표로 하는 사람들은 TOP MBA를 선택하는 경우가 많다. 본인은 책을 통해 배우는 편(book smart)인지 현장 경험으로 배우는 편(streer smart)인지? 

A: I think of myself as a hard-core street smart person. When I address students, they always ask me whether they should get an advanced education or not. My answer is to go and find the job first. Even if you go to a top business school, it is still only an extension of school. Get into the real world and you will truly learn by doing.

현장에서 많이 배우는 편이다. 학생들과 대화할 때 이런 질문을 많이 받는다. 그럴 때마다 먼저 직업을 구하라고 조언한다. TOP MBA도 학교의 연장선이다. 세상에 뛰어들어서, 경험을 통해서 배우는 것이 중요하다.

Q. IT기업을 운영하면서 혁신을 지속하는 것이 어렵진 않나? 

A : No matter which industry you are in, business is always and still about common sense. Since it is a fastchanging field, of course you need to go out to your potential customers and pop the golden question : What do you want? Then you need to somehow deliver what they need and on time. I must add that my engineering background did on many occasions help me make the right product related decisions.

어떤 분야를 막론하고, 사업에는 항상 통용되는 상식이 있다. 빠르게 변화하는 분야이기 때문에 항상 고객들과 만나서 그들이 원하는 것이 무엇인지 묻고, 제 때 시장에 내 놓는 것이 중요하다. 엔지니어링 경력이 제품 결정에 큰 도움이 된다.

Q. 영어를 유창하게 구사하는 것이 중요한가? 

A: As a Sogang graduate, I was exposed to spoken English on more occasions than many of my peers, and in different circumstances. I believe what is more important is that you know how to communicate. Being able to arrange your ideas and simply get the message across is what really counts.

서강대 졸업생으로서, 당시 다른 대학의 수업에서 경험하기 어려웠던 '영어 회화'를 배울 수 있었던 점이 큰 도움이 됐다. '말하는 법' 보다 '소통하는 법'을 아는 게 더 중요하다. 생각을 정리하고 요점을 파악하는 게 정말 중요하다.

Q. 끝으로 하고 싶은 말이 있다면 

A: The word that comes to mind is happiness. Devote as much of your time as possible to find out where your true happinesslies. That means you need to expose yourself and try as many different things as you can. Don't be afraid to make changes. In my case, I was unhappy doing the same thing everyday, and not really learning much. I had to constantly try new things, and that's how I eventually ended up where I am today.

마음속에서 떠오르는 말은 '행복'이다. 어떻게 하면 자신이 가장 행복해질 수 있는지를 찾는데 많은 시간을 투자하자. 이를 위해 변화를 두려워해서는 안 된다. 배우는 것 없이 매일 같은 일을 하는 것은 전혀 행복하지 않았다. 끊임없이 새로운 일에 도전했다. 그것이 오늘의 나를 만들었다.

글=김지영(99 중문) Cathy's Healing English(www.healingenglish.com) 대표

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

Total 7,155건 115 페이지
게시물 검색

COPYRIGHT 2007 THE SOGANG UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
서강대학교총동문회 | 대표 : 김광호 | 사업자등록번호 : 105-82-61502
서강동문장학회 | 대표 : 김광호 | 고유번호 : 105-82-04118
04107 서울시 마포구 백범로 35 아루페관 400호 | 02-712-4265 | alumni@sogang.ac.kr | 개인정보보호정책 / 이용약관 / 총동문회 회칙
모바일 버전으로 보기